Tuesday, 9 September 2014

The Humble Spud

So we did out weekly shop yesterday and because we spotted a bargain at Morrisons our menu has changed somewhat.  £2 for a huge sack of spuds.  This worked out at 16p a kilo! They are unwashed but there is nothing wrong with my hands, I'm happy to get scrubbing.  It reminded me of my childhood, my mum would buy a huge sack of spuds from the local farm and store them in the garage.  It was my job to go out and pick some big bakers, I hated it, going out into the cold and unlit garage, delving my hand into the sack and half expecting a mouse to be in there.  But there never was.   

So the menu for this week is changing.

Here's a few ideas

Shepherds pie
Linda McCartney Sausages (£1 on offer at M's), mash, spinach and carrots
Cheese and Onion Pie with lashings of baked beans (rather unhealthy but filling and delicious)
Beef Chilli with jacket potatoes and salad
Spanish Omelet Salad
Fish Pie, carrots and spinach
Jacket potato, beans, cheese and salad
Leek and Potato soup
Potato Salad


Mash potatoes are also very easy to freeze.  If they are starting to sprout, cook them, mash them and freeze them into portions, reheat in the microwave or covered in the oven.  Very convenient when I am tired or feeling lazy.

Wikipedia even have their own page dedicated to the humble spud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potato_dishes

Have a wonderful Tuesday!



2 comments:

  1. Were they a good size ? I thought I had a bargain from a certain supermarket once, but the potatoes were really small and took so long to peel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was a bit worried because I couldn't see if they were good or not but so far they look great. A mix of small and medium size bakers

      Delete