Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Making a Face Scrub

I don't buy expensive creams, they always seem to make my blotchy, I need simple products.  My favourite moisturiser is Palmers Cocoa Butter. It does everything I want and is very reasonably priced (and smells divine).  I really should just stick to what I know works.....

Foolishly, after reading a glowing review online I thought I would give 'Kingsley House' Cocoa butter cream (from £world) a go.....I will not lie to you, it is the WORST moisturiser I have ever bought, thankfully it was only a pound! On reading the label it contains Sodium Lauryl Sulphate  (note to self: READ THE FLIPPIN LABEL BEFORE YOU BUY IT!).  Now, I am not hyper-vigilent about sulphates, if they are being washed off, but there is no way I am having this stuff sitting on my skin all day :0/.

As I am down to the last few squirts of my beloved St Ives Apricot Scrub, so I thought I would have a play with what I already have before I buy more. 


As I haven't done this before, it was all a bit of trial and error.  I put a heaped tablespoon of moisturiser (Kingsley House Cocoa Butter Cream) and then started to add sugar, a teaspoon at a time, until it felt 'gritty' enough.  I want it gritty enough to remove dead skin, but not so gritty that it is over abrasive.  I used my St Ives to compare and get it right. (I think I probably added 2 tablespoons in the end).

I then added a teaspoon of Castor oil (this is great for cleansing as well as softening and moisturising).  I also added 5 drops of both Lavender and Rose Geranium EOil.  Lavender is calming and Rose Geranium is anti ageing (it smells divine!).


To be a true test I scrubbed half my face in St Ives Apricot Scrub and half in my own concoction.  I wipe it off using water and a muslin cloth (you can buy these for around 59p in Homebargains and are fantastic).

Result - Both left my face very soft - absolutely no tightness or irritation.  St Ives was a bit grittier because of the size of the 'scrubby bits', but I still felt exfoliated by both.  My own concoction smelled nicer, almost like a premium brand.  Hmm...I will keep up with it for a few weeks and I may do an update.

BTW I only did enough for a couple of 'scrubs' as I am not sure how the sugar will react to the moisturiser and essential oils, it may slowly dissolve.  I will see how it goes and report back.

Have a wonderful Wednesday and I hope the sun is shining where you are.

1 comment:

  1. I am a big fan of the St Ives Apricot Scrub, I have purchased cheap stuff and it is crap, so have learn't my lesson, I like Olay products, but have now started using natural products, check out the freebie sites, they always give away samples, my best tip is to drink lots of water, I swear by it.

    ReplyDelete